VACANCY FOR THE POST OF STRUCTURAL ENGINEER FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS MINISTRY OF PUBLIC WORKS
Applications are invited for suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Structural Engineer in the Department of Public Works, Ministry of Public Works.
Requirement for the Post
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized accredited academic institution.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, any other Commonwealth Country, the USA or equivalent qualification.
- Possess experience in all areas of structural engineering infrastructure and building designs including but not limited to bridges, docks, harbours, sea defenses, buildings etc. Experience working in the Caribbean would be advantageous.
- Possess working knowledge of various type of contracts and conditions of contract, both locally and internationally and experienced in contract administration of same.
- Possess extensive Project Management and construction supervision experience with capital and maintenance works projects.
- Possess experience in structural design with the following engineering materials (reinforced concrete, timber and steel).
- Experience in Structural design and analysis programs (Lusas, STAAD, Tedds), Autocad, MS Office.
- Knowledge of both US and UK Highway Codes standards and specifications is essential.
- Must be willing to travel to both Family Islands and other countries as necessary.
- Possess good interpersonal skills to liaise with staff, clients, contractors and all associated parties.
- Possess good communication skills.
- Proficiency in both oral and written English.
General Job Description:
Specific Duties and Responsibilities of the post include but not limited to:
REPORTS TO: SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
Directly Supervises: ASSISTANT ENGINEERS/DRAFT PERSONS/ INSPECTORS
Primary Objectives: Providing structural engineering services for new and existing government structures (buildings, seawalls, docks, harbours, retaining wall, bridges, culverts) throughout the Bahamas. Providing structural advice and recommendation to other Ministry of Works sections (Architectural, Building Survey, Civil Design, M&E), other government ministries (Transport and Aviation, Tourism, Housing, Education, National Security) and Other Government Bodies (TBA, NEMA, BEST, BNT, AMMC).
- Provision of structural design services, including producing structural drawings, specifications, tender and contract documents for both new structures and maintenance of existing structures.
- Structural inspections and assessments of civil and building structures on existing buildings for rehabilitation or demolition and producing report with scope of works for repair.
- Supervision of new construction and maintenance projects (i.e. ensure compliance to contact documents, dealing with variations to contract, measuring works undertaken, payment certificates, monitoring progress of project).
- To check work passing through the Section to ensure its technical and financial viability.
- Attend meetings as required. Particularly those concerned with structural engineering matters and those concerning aspects of the Section’s work.
- Keep abreast of modern developments in construction, maintenance and administration, carryout research as required and submit proposals for improvement of the service.
- Undertake any other duties as required in order to provide the service required of the Section.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Successful applicants will be appointed on contract. The contract appointment shall be at a fixed salary and would include a gratuity of fifteen per cent (15%) of total salary (excluding allowances) received during the contract period and payable on satisfactory completion of the contract.
Serving officers should apply through their Heads of Departments.
Application forms and Job descriptions may be obtained from the Human Resources Section Ministry of Public Works, JF Kennedy Drive or by submitting a request to email address email@example.com. The application form will advise the additional documents to be supplied to the Ministry. The completed application form and accompanying documents are to be delivered to the Human Resources Section, Ministry of Public Works or scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed application forms with original or notarized hard copies of qualifications, a personal statement of suitability for the post, and relevant experience in chronological order matching the requirements, duties and responsibilities of the post, must be submitted to reach the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Public Works J.F Kennedy Drive no later than September 13th, 2019.