Structural Design Engineer (Chartered)
Job Title: Structural Design Engineer (Chartered)
Base: Beehive Centre for Social Enterprise, Blantyre, Malawi
Placement Type: 6 months (multiple roles to start Spring 2019 and Autumn 2019)
Terms: Unpaid voluntary. We provide 1 x return flight, visa and insurance fees, medical vaccinations and Malaria medication costs, private accommodation and basic board.
This is an exciting and adventurous opportunity for an experienced Chartered Structural Design Engineer to live and volunteer in Malawi, Africa and truly make a positive impact on a hard-working but incredibly poor community. The successful applicant will be responsible for the structural designs of a primary and/or secondary school which will provide quality educational facilities to thousands of children. Krizevac will also be working with the Parish to develop a large community Shrine area on Mount Michuru which will necessitate large-scale landscaping and access designs.
Krizevac Project is a UK registered charity. We have worked in Chilomoni Township, Malawi for the past ten years. We’ve built Beehive Centre for Social Enterprise which is now Malawian managed and owned; Beehive is a collection of not-for-profit enterprises (ranging from JCB rentals to a tiny bookshop) which provide training and employment for over 700 people, as well as stimulating the local economy. Money generated by the enterprises fund vital childcare, family support and educational facilities in our children’s centre and school projects.
We’ve developed a strong construction team in order to create buildings to house all of the projects. In 2019 we aim to begin the construction of a brand new primary and/or secondary school. We seek a chartered Structural Design Engineer to support this project. The successful candidate will join our existing busy local team which is currently supported by an international volunteer Architect.
The Structural Design Engineer will be required to create structural designs suitable for Planning Applications and for use on-site by the Head of Construction and wider team. They will work alongside the volunteer Architect to design, plan and programme all Design Team activities. The Structural Design Engineer reports directly to the Head of Construction, based at the Beehive construction site in Chilomoni.
- Work as a senior member of the construction team, assisting the Head of Construction with the development, motivation, guidance and day-to-day supervision of the local team.
- Assist with the training and supervision of a new Clerk of Works intern.
- Provide detailed structural designs from architectural drawings for a primary and/or secondary school (structural designs must be suitable for use on-site).
- Incorporate the use of Hydraform interlocking structural blocks, which are manufactured on site and used in all Beehive projects.
- Assist in the design and output of Planning Application submissions to Blantyre City Council; approval must be obtained prior to commencement of works.
- Potential additional structural design input into the planning of a large, landscaping project just outside the city.
- A strong Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- A minimum of 4-5 years design experience
- Experience in design of reinforced concrete frames, reinforced steel frames, masonry superstructures and foundations is essential
- Ideally experience working on Commercial, Residential and Educational buildings
- Experience working on large landscaping projects a bonus
- Chartered with ISTructE or ICE
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Expert knowledge of UK design standards and regulations
- A resourceful approach to finding local alternatives to standard UK details, methods and materials of construction
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- A positive, supportive and cheerful attitude, with a flexible and patient approach to team working
Please click Apply and email your CV and a covering letter if interested.
Closing dates for application is 16th February 2019
All applicants must be available for a face to face interview in our Staffordshire office.