Senior Design Engineers, Nuclear and Non-Nuclear Infrastructure
Help us to create the naval base and dockyard of the future, supporting the Royal Navy’s current surface and submarine fleets and ready to receive the next generation of naval platforms. We are looking for senior civil, electrical and mechanical engineers who are confident at designing complex, high-value assets and projects. In return, you will receive a competitive salary, good benefits package and the unbeatable quality of life that comes with living in one of the most beautiful corners of the UK.
* Subject to qualifications and experience
Western Europe’s largest naval base
For more than three hundred years, engineers have been shaping the dockyard to ensure it supports the fleet and protects the nation. We need you to help continue this tradition, transforming, sustaining and improving Devonport to meet the demands of the Royal Navy for the next hundred years.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy’s new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme, including Astute and Dreadnought class.
Your role in Babcock
You will be responsible for leading or supporting a design team delivering complex nuclear and non-nuclear projects. We are looking for individuals to manage both new-build infrastructure as well as projects relating to the development of existing dockyard and naval base assets.
Duties could include
- Designing projects to meet cost, programme and quality requirements.
- Implementing Babcock’s design processes and contributing to their ongoing development.
- Helping to develop and sustain a Design Authority capability.
- Defining and maintaining the Design Intent of a wide range of facilities and assets.
- Managing technical design packages.
- Planning for effective project implementation and lead in the technical planning process.
- Ensuring that effective safety quality management arrangements are in place and adhered to.
- Liaising closely with other teams and stakeholders.
Skills and qualifications
- Qualified to degree level in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer or able to attain chartership status.
- Experienced in the design and substantiation of engineering systems.
- Experienced in leading, motivating and supporting design teams.
- Experienced in design process management.
- Working within strict regulatory environments (safety, quality and security)
- Knowledgeable of operating within nuclear or other high-hazard environments.
What you will get from Babcock
A job that matters - the opportunity to play a role in our nation’s security
Challenge – complex projects in a unique environment
Excitement – not the view from your average office window
Great work/life balance – long-term prospects in a beautiful part of the country
A chance to leave a mark – help us to write the next chapter in our 300-year history
At Babcock we’re committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. You will receive a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You’ll benefit from excellent career development opportunities that will help you grow and achieve your full potential at Babcock.
Babcock is committed to being an equal opportunities employer and offers a range of family friendly policies which support work / life balance. For certain roles, support with relocation may be available.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It’s why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
For more information, please visit www.babcockatdevonport.com