Structural Engineer/ Senior Structural Engineer
5 days left
- Full Time
The MASS Engineering team has grown significantly over the last five years, and now employs 20 staff across Structural, Civil and MEP disciplines. We are looking to hire a creative and self-motivated Structural Engineer or Senior Structural Engineer to strengthen our capacity as well as providing design leadership to the more junior members of the team.
The position will report to the Engineering Director in Kigali. This person will lead the structural design of medium to large projects, and will be responsible for guiding and leading the junior engineers on the team . Once projects reach site you will also take responsibility monitoring the contractor’s work, ensuring that it is aligned with the design, and leading the response to contractor queries and requests.
Initially you would be working on the design of Phase 2 of the Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA). Phase 1 of the project is currently on site, and so you may also be asked to attend site meetings and give technical guidance to MASS’s site engineers.
In addition to your project work, you would be required to take on organizational responsibilities within the Engineering team and potentially the wider office. This may include leading the development and implementation of an internal technical design and review process, mentoring more junior staff members, and contributing to the longer term vision for the team.
- 5-10 years relevant technical experience, including both design and construction experience
- Chartered or near-Chartered Engineer with recognized engineering institution
- Ability to manage and deliver a medium project effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to lead liaison and coordination with other members of the project team, including architects, other engineering disciplines and quantity surveyors
- Excellent technical expertise in structural analysis and design for seismic regions
- Substantial experience with reinforced concrete, masonry and timber design to Eurocodes for small to large scale structures
- Site experience (preferably in a development context), ability to work with engineering site team, contractors, and non-technical personnel
- Positive and proactive attitude with an emphasis on design quality and attention to detail
- Experienced in finite element analysis theory and practice
- Familiar with Autodesk software (AutoCAD; Revit; Robot)
- Positive and proactive attitude
- Desire to serve the team and communities that MASS works with
- Leading the design and delivery of coordinated structural engineering designs in line with budget, program and project mission statement
- Provide technical support to engineering site team
- Working collaboratively with MASS architects and MEP engineers
- Acting as an aspirational role model to junior engineering staff, in terms of creative, technical design
- Managing and training junior engineering staff
- Working with MASS Engineering team to develop appropriate best practice systems, tools and ways of working
- Developing MASS Engineering’s internal technical design and review process
- Supports MASS Architecture team in concept and scheme designs
- Contributing to MASS Engineering management processes and meetings