Associate Director (Structural Engineering)
As one of the UK’s leading environmental and engineering consultancies, Wardell Armstrong LLP is looking to appoint an Associate Director (Structural Engineering) based in our Glasgow Office. This is an exciting opportunity at a senior leadership level to develop Structural Engineering services, working closely with the existing civil engineering team in Glasgow and the Civil & Structural Engineering, Geotechnical and Landscape Architect teams in Edinburgh serving markets in Scotland. The appointment will be based in our Glasgow office and so the principal targets will be in the West of Scotland. This is a new position within a small office that the company plans to invest further in and develop. As a result the successful candidate will play a significant role in developing the Glasgow Office. The role will also collaborate with structural engineers based in other Wardell Armstrong offices across the UK.
First and foremost, this position requires a client focussed and outward facing specialist who has the drive and determination to develop a structural engineering group, based in the Glasgow office of Wardell Armstrong to serve regional markets in the west of Scotland and nationally, collaborating with specialists in other Wardell Armstrong offices. The candidate should also be able to demonstrate an understanding of the property and development sector, and an appreciation of the issues which developers face, beyond the application of their technical skills.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate experience of business development, financial management and expertise in winning work and building client relationships, together with excellent technical and project management skills and an ability to deliver results to client programme and budget. The successful candidate will also have excellent outward facing skills allowing them to build strong relationships with existing and new clients, working in collaboration with the leadership team based in the Glasgow and Edinburgh offices.
Candidates should have at least 10 years of experience in consultancy (or similar environment), with the ability to understand and manage the inter-relationships between technical areas of expertise that would add value to our clients and assist in business development.
- A degree in civil or structural engineering; and
- Chartered status in a recognised professional organisation, ideally ICE or IStructE;
- Being an SER Certifier would be beneficial but is not essential.
To be successful we would like to hear from candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Highly motivated Chartered Engineer with excellent communication skills;
- Significant technical design experience to Eurocodes in structural engineering using the common materials (concrete, steel, masonry, timber) and across other disciplines;
- Experience in managing a range of projects, both commercially and technically;
- Experience in the production of contract documents;
- Demonstrable understanding of Health and Safety and CDM;
- Proven team management experience;
- Knowledge of standard engineering practices, techniques and procedures;
- Understanding of design principles and the ability to practically apply them;
- Understanding of local market and ability to develop relationships with existing and new clients to build a structural engineering service;
- The ability to use Tekla and TEDDS structural design packages;
- Have an understanding and experience of the use of BIM; and
- A full driving licence and prepared to travel and work remotely from the office.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications;
- Membership of the Firm’s Group Personal Pension Plan, with Employer’s contribution of up to 5%;
- Payment of a professional subscription;
- 24 days annual leave per year (bank holidays excluded),
- Single membership to the Firm’s Private Health Care Scheme currently provided by AVIVA;
- Inclusion in the Firm’s Permanent Health Insurance Policy;
- Inclusion in the Firm’s Life Assurance Policy given as 3 times annual salary;
- Mobile Phone with inclusive tariff including personal usage;
- Flexi- Time Working Schedule;
- Long service awards – annual leave;
- Childcare Vouchers;
- Travel Loans.
Please upload your CV at wardell-armstrong.com.